Employment Law Program

GVCLC Employment Brochure

The project is aimed at assisting temporary visa workers in the Goulburn Valley region. The work will mostly involve providing employment law advice to working holiday makers on 417 and 462 visas.

The main aim of the project is to provide prompt employment law advice to temporary visa workers. Issues we will deal with may include:

  • wages issues (e.g. underpayment of wages, low wages, non-payment of wages)
  • deductions being made for accommodation etc
  • workplace health and safety issues (e.g. too hot to work, working too many hours etc)

Background information on 417 & 462 visas:

417 visa holders

417 visas are visas that young people can apply for if they want to have an extended holiday in Australia for up to a year. It is available if the person is:

  • 18-30 years of age
  • from an eligible country
  • willing to work for 88 days in eligible industries (e.g. agriculture, mining or construction etc)

Eligible countries include:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

To find out more go to: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/417-

462 visa holders

The purpose of the 462 visa holders is very similar to the 417 visas. However the employee must be employed in Northern Queensland. This visa covers a different list of eligible countries. Eligible countries include:

  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Chile
  • China
  • Hungary
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Uruguay
  • Vietnam

To find out more about the visa go to: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/462-